Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Debian Versus Kubuntu Versus Windows 8

Debian 6.03

Kubuntu 11.10

Windows 8 beta developer preview

In the last weeks I have tried many "new" OSes, the first one was Kubuntu 11.10:

After the decision from the Ubuntu team to use Unity in the standard distro 11.04 I have been waiting to see if in the 11.10 version all the mistakes have been removed, unfortunately I had exactly the same feeling that with the previous version...

One of the things I like from Linux is the freedom: freedom to choose what do you want to install and how to configure it to adapt to your personal tastes and needs

With the infamous Unity I feel like if I was a toy inside a Box: I can see beautiful glitter-filled walls, but I can't see anything else!, I thing that when in your process table Xorg is taking MORE CPU than your mmorpg server, something is completely wrong..

I downloaded and installed Kubuntu 11.10, hell I don't like windows-style from KDE but I was so disgusted with regular "Unitybuntu 11.10" that I decided to try it... now I regret I didn't went for Debian before..

Debian is the mother of Ubuntu, and many other Linux flavors, but I have been always afraid to download the tons of gigabytes the full distro uses, but when I entered www.debian.org last day I realized the network installer only occupied like 400 MB, so I downloaded , burned and installed it..

When I did I felt like my first times with Linux (with Slackware), everything was not made "for dummies", you had to set up many things, like repositories to be able to install apps, but well after goggling a bit I was able to install all the tools I use day by day....

It is not as beautiful as Ubuntu or Kubuntu but now my CPU cycles are used for my apps, not for openGL....


I downloaded today Windows 8 beta developer preview and installed it, after all the things I have heard from it I was almost sure it's gonna be very different from Windows 7, but  all the people that has been MS OSes since a few years ago will realize it shares many things from previous versions, the feeling I got from it is that it was completely designed not for pcs, but for Tablets... yes, forget about pcs, the interface is made so you can use it with a touch screen...

Another thing is forget to use it with any computer with less than a 2 dual core fast (2Ghz+ processor) with 2 GB RAM, I installed it in a virtual computer and it took 5 minutes to boot using one core from my I5 core processor (3.2Ghz), assigning the 4 cores to Windows made it boot in "only" 2 minutes... OMG! I hope MS optimize it.. or get ready for a "Vista 8"....

Well I have to test it more but the first feeling is Microsoft wants to change mind of the users.. again, time will say if they are right...


Well , enough OS review for today..

See you!

No comments: